Boston Celtics star Jaylen Brown is disputing the City of Beverly Hills’ claims over an event he hosted on the even of the NBA All-Star Game.
The event promoting Brown’s performance brand, 741, was Saturday at Oakley founder Jim Jannard’s home. In a statement to the Boston Globe, the city said the event was shut down because it lacked a permit.
Brown responded in an ESPN interview Sunday after the All-Star Game at Intuit Dome in Inglewood.
“I’m offended by Beverly Hills, by the statement they put out, like we applied for something and didn’t get it, and we did it anyway (and) we were insubordinate,” Brown told ESPN. “I know how to follow the rules. I’m smart enough to follow the guidelines.”
Hours earlier, Beverly Hills detailed in the statement to The Boston Globe why the event was shut down.
“On Saturday, February 14, the Beverly Hills Police Department (BHPD) responded to an event taking place at a private residence in the Trousdale neighborhood of the City. An event permit had been applied for and denied by the City due to previous violations associated with events at the address,” the statement said. “”Despite the fact that the permit was denied, organizers still chose to proceed with inviting hundreds of guests knowing that it was not allowed to occur. BHPD responded and shut down the unpermitted event.”
After helping the USA Stars win the All-Star Game, Anthony Edwards was named MVP, noting how he and the team had to match the tone and compete in the All-Star games.
Brown disputed the claims.
“That was not true,” the All-Star guard told ESPN. “We didn’t need a permit because the owner of the house, that was his space. We were family friends. He opened up the festivities to us so we didn’t have to. We never applied for one.”
Brown referenced the situation in social media posts Saturday and again late Sunday night.
“300K down the drain,” Brown posted.
NBCLA has reached out to the city for comment.
