Tuesday, February 17

Lillard Leaks Steph Curry 3-Point Contest Texts


Stephen Curry of the Golden State Warriors and Damian Lillard of the Portland Trail Blazers.


Getty

Stephen Curry of the Golden State Warriors and Damian Lillard of the Portland Trail Blazers.

Golden State Warriors star Stephen Curry is set to return to the NBA’s signature shooting showcase after a private message from Damian Lillard turned public and reignited anticipation for a historic showdown.

Fresh off winning his third NBA Three-Point Contest title, Lillard shared on Instagram a text exchange confirming Curry’s interest in competing at the 2027 NBA All-Star Weekend in Phoenix.


Lillard Leaks DM Inviting Curry, Ex-Warriors

Lillard, who captured the 2026 State Farm NBA Three-Point Contest in dramatic fashion during All-Star Weekend in Los Angeles, reached out to Curry with a vision for next year’s field.

“Next year … me, you, Klay, Book, and four more real shooters,” Lillard wrote, according to his Instagram story.

Curry responded enthusiastically.

“Yessir I’m in. Know Klay will do it if I ask and Book will be at home. Perfect setup,” Curry replied.

Lillard posted the exchange publicly, captioning it simply: “It’s lit.”

Damian Lillard, Steph Curry, WarriorsDamian Lillard, Steph Curry, Warriors

HeavyFreshly minted three-time NBA Three-Point Contest champion Damian Lillard invited Stephen Curry to compete in next year’s All-Star weekend in Phoenix, Arizona.


Warriors Star Steph Curry Confirms Plan to Return in 2027

Curry, the NBA’s all-time leader in made three-pointers, confirmed his intention to return to the contest during the NBC broadcast, which would mark his eighth career appearance.

Curry previously won the event in 2015 (New York City) and 2021 (Atlanta), and has not competed since the latter victory.

Now approaching his 38th birthday and entering the final guaranteed season of his contract with the State Warriors, Curry has made clear that legacy moments still matter.


A Potential All-Time Shooter Field Takes Shape

Beyond Curry and Lillard, the proposed 2027 field could include several elite names.

Klay Thompson, Curry’s longtime Splash Brother, won the contest in 2016 (Toronto) and last competed in 2018. Though Thompson left Golden State in the summer of 2024 via sign-and-trade to the Dallas Mavericks, he and Curry won four NBA championships together.

Devin Booker — a Phoenix native — was denied a second title since winning it in 2018 when he finished runner-up to Lillard in 2026. He has already expressed interest in returning when the event comes to his home market.

“I wanted this one bad,” Booker said. “Wish I was defending it in Phoenix, but it’ll probably be the last time I do it next year if I get the invite.”

Curry also said he intends to recruit Kevin Durant, further raising the possibility of one of the most star-studded shooting contests in NBA history.


Lillard Ties Record With Third Title Despite Achilles Rehab

Lillard’s victory Saturday tied the all-time record for Three-Point Contest wins. Competing while continuing his recovery from a torn Achilles, he posted a 29-point final-round score, edging Booker (27) and Charlotte Hornets rookie Kon Knueppel (17).

Lillard previously won the contest in 2023 (Salt Lake City) and 2024 (Indianapolis).

His 2026 performance not only cemented his place in contest history but also served as the catalyst for Curry’s return.


Curry’s Return Adds Anticipation for Phoenix

The 2027 NBA All-Star Weekend in Phoenix is already shaping up as a showcase of shooting royalty.

If Curry, Lillard, Booker and Thompson all follow through, the league would assemble a field featuring multiple champions, record holders, and generational shooters — a rarity even for All-Star Weekend.

For Warriors fans, Curry’s decision represents more than nostalgia. It signals that even late in his career, the face of the franchise remains eager to test himself against the game’s best — on the league’s biggest stage.

And thanks to a leaked text, the countdown to Phoenix has already begun.

Alder Almo is a sports journalist covering the NBA for Heavy.com. He has more than 20 years of experience in local and international media, including broadcast, print and digital. He previously covered the Knicks for Empire Sports Media and the NBA for Off the Glass. Alder is from the Philippines and is now based in Jersey City, New Jersey. More about Alder Almo





Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *