
Getty
Luka Doncic of the Los Angeles Lakers and Team World attends the 75th NBA All-Star Game at Intuit Dome on February 15, 2026 in Inglewood, California.
The Los Angeles Lakers may have been largely silent at the NBA trade deadline, but that restraint had the support of their new franchise cornerstone.
According to ESPN’s Dave McMenamin, Luka Dončić was fully aligned with the Lakers’ disciplined approach, prioritizing long-term flexibility over splashy short-term moves.
“A source familiar with Dončić’s thinking told ESPN that L.A.’s deadline approach — with adherence to discipline and focus on the long-term picture — was supported by the 26-year-old star,” McMenamin reported Tuesday.
Lakers Made One Move, Preserved Future Assets
The Lakers completed just one transaction before the deadline, acquiring sharpshooter Luke Kennard in exchange for Gabe Vincent and a 2032 second-round pick — the final second-rounder the franchise was eligible to trade.
The quiet deadline drew scrutiny across the league, but internally it reflected a deliberate strategy rather than indecision.
Lakers president of basketball operations Rob Pelinka explained earlier this month that the team declined several offers that could have compromised its long-term vision.
“One form of being aggressive is saying no,” Pelinka said. “It’s hard to say no sometimes to getting a good player that could be a quick short-term fix, but could have implications for the long term where it doesn’t fit into the overall vision you have for the team.”
Dončić Not Pressuring Front Office for Star Pairing
Interestingly, McMenamin reported that Dončić has not sought to accelerate roster changes around the uncertainty surrounding LeBron James.
“He has not pushed the team to add a superstar-level co-star for when James is no longer on the roster,” McMenamin wrote.
James, now 41, is set to become an unrestricted free agent after the season, leaving the Lakers at a crossroads between honoring a historic partnership and fully transitioning into the Dončić era.
LeBron’s Contract Looms Over Lakers’ Planning


GettyLeBron James and Luka Doncic of the Los Angeles Lakers talk during the third quarter of a game against the Utah Jazz.
James is earning $52.6 million this season, a figure that significantly shapes the Lakers’ cap outlook.
“If James wants to play a 24th season, he would be welcomed back in L.A.,” McMenamin reported. “But his salary would be a major factor in determining exactly what kind of team the Lakers could build.”
While James previously accepted a $2.7 million reduction below the maximum on his most recent deal to help the Lakers avoid second-apron penalties, McMenamin noted that a more substantial pay cut would mark a notable shift from how James has historically approached negotiations.
Despite his age, James remains highly productive, averaging 22.0 points, 7.1 assists, and 5.8 rebounds while shooting 50.2 percent from the field.
Reaves Extension Adds Another Layer
Financial decisions are further complicated by the impending extension timeline for Austin Reaves, whose future salary slot will influence how aggressively the Lakers can build around Dončić.
Every dollar allocated at the top of the roster has ripple effects — a reality underscoring why the Lakers resisted deadline moves that could have limited future flexibility.
James Remains Noncommittal About What Comes Next
James did little to clarify his future during NBA All-Star Weekend.
“I want to live,” James said when asked about next season. “When I know, you guys will know. I don’t know. I have no idea. Just want to live.”
That uncertainty has been echoed by Lakers governor Jeanie Buss, who suggested James has given no firm indication about returning.
“Never say never, but you know, he certainly hasn’t given an indication,” Buss told CNBC. “He’s earned the right to decide how his career will go, and he continues to impress.”
Lakers Fully Transitioning Into Dončić Era
Whether James retires, returns on revised terms, or continues elsewhere, the Lakers are increasingly positioning Dončić as the franchise’s present and future.
Buss emphasized that recent ownership changes — including increased resources from new controlling owner Mark Walter — are designed to support that transition.
“The partnership will give us the stability to continue to move forward as we build towards a team around Dončić,” Buss said. “We couldn’t be more proud that he is a Laker. He is a young All-Star that the fans love to see.”
For now, Dončić’s backing of the Lakers’ patience offers validation that the franchise’s quiet deadline was not a missed opportunity but a calculated step toward a defining offseason ahead.
Alder Almo is a sports journalist covering the NBA for Heavy.com. He has more than 20 years of experience in local and international media, including broadcast, print and digital. He previously covered the Knicks for Empire Sports Media and the NBA for Off the Glass. Alder is from the Philippines and is now based in Jersey City, New Jersey. More about Alder Almo
More Heavy on Lakers
Loading more stories
