(WLUK) – FOX 11 has learned Newcap CEO Cheryl Detrick has been put on administrative leave after concerns were raised about how the organization has been using taxpayer money meant to help low-income residents.
FOX 11 Investigates started airing stories last week about the situation after spending weeks digging into financial documents and speaking with former Newcap employees and board members who expressed concerns about the pay for the agency’s executives and government money not being used for its intended purpose.
Newcap employees were informed of Detrick being put on leave for the “foreseeable future” in an email from the board of directors’ executive committee which also stated the committee voted board member Tom Sieber to serve as interim CEO and president.
An independent third party will be conducting a review of Newcap’s programs, according to the email.
“As we work through this process, we will be forthcoming with information as it unfolds,” Newcap’s executive board wrote to employees in the mail. “We ask for your patience as this process moves forward.”
FOX 11 Investigates’ story on Tuesday looked at Detrick’s compensation, which was listed at $239,641 on 2024 tax documents, a 142% increase from the $98,876 she took home in 2016.
FOX 11 Investigates
Detrick was unwilling to do an on-camera interview with FOX 11 Investigates for its stories, but she answered our questions over email. She maintained tax money was used in accordance with government rules.
FOX 11 has asked Detrick if she’d like to share any sort of comment about being put on administrative leave. We have not received a response.
The nonprofit’s two most recent tax filings show the organization has been operating at a $2 million deficit.
The Wisconsin Department of Administration put Newcap under ‘enhanced financial monitoring’ late last year – a move FOX 11 is told is rare.
Detrick told FOX 11 changes were made in response to an annual independent audit that raised doubt about the nonprofit’s ability to continue operating.
The executive committee for Newcap’s board of directors issued a statement on Thursday. In part, the committee stated it “takes these allegations seriously and will be as transparent as possible as we gather facts and the situation unfolds.”
FOX 11 Investigates continues to dig into Newcap’s use of taxpayer money and will have additional stories coming this week.
